Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Today's Light Time

Tank light's on: 6.30pm
Tank light's off: 11.00pm
total time: 4 1/2 hours




----------------
Now playing: Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond
via FoxyTunes

Today's Snail Count

have just done a daily snail count and there are: 4

Today's Tank Temperature

Have just checked the temperature today and it is: 25 degrees

Today's Post


Just been watching my tank when I suddenly saw Snailly again! It's good know he's not been sucked into the filter. Took a video of him doing a sprint across the glass too.
Everything looks really bare in my tank now there are no plants in there but the fur on the other plants looks like its going. That's good. video

Today's Light Time

Tank light on: 6pm
Tank lights off: 11pm
total time: 5 hours

Today's Snail Count

Have just done a daily snail count and there are: 4

Today's Tank Temperature

Have just checked the today's temperature and it is: 25 degrees

Monday 13th July 2009

I changed the water that all the plants that are being kept outside of the tank were in, got quite wet!. The 3 new plants look alright, so far, so good. The second plant that had been infected with the blue algae looked alright too, no sign of new algae growth, no sign of old algae growth. The first plant that was infected does seem to have some type of fur/algae, only this time it is a white colour. Am crossing fingers that it doesn't turn nasty. Have completed daily tank checks, snails, temperature and light monitoring.

Sunday 12th July 2009

D-DAY FOR THE TANK!!

Having taken some photo's of the algae and gathered some water in an empty 'Colman's' jar have headed off to "Pet's At Home" store in Poole for some advice and a free water test. Spoke to a kind assistant called Jennie who advised me wonderfully on what to do, and also did the water test for me.
The water test came back that the Nitrite and Nitrate levels were at a 'Warning: Unsafe' situation. Have been advised to add 4 1/2 tsp of Aquarium salt, and treat with 3 capful's of Stress Zyme +. She also said that as we had bought the infected plants from the company that they would replace the free of charge, which is very good of them. So I picked out 3 new plants and came home. Once at home the fun began.

AT HOME:
As so many things needed to be done it was tricky knowing where to start, so I started with the tank itself. I removed the two remaining plants and gave them a wash in a bleach solution that aims to combat blue algae just in case they had contracted it too. The bleach solution equates to 1 part bleach, 19 parts water. Gave the plants a rinse under the tap, then back in the tank they went, crossing fingers.
I then washed the 2 infected plants in the bleach solution, taking off as much with my fingers as I could, then again rinsing them off in fresh water and inspecting for badly affected leaves and removing accordingly. The 2 plants were then placed into quarantine separately to limit
any further contamination. Now I know the lady said to ditch them, but what a shame and waste of good plants if they do recover. Then came the time to deal with the new purchases. I had the 3 new replacement plants and a large piece of driftwood which all needed bath's. Under the tap they went for a quick rinse then into another large bucket of water to see how they fair before being transplanted, possibly, into the tank.
The I delt with the water itself, the lady recomended 4 1/2 tsp of the Aquarium salt, upon reading the packet further, it should actually of been tablespoons not teaspoons, so that's what I measured out and put in, 4 1/2 tablespoons. Or she could of just been mistaken in her abbreviations between teaspoons and tablespoons. Anyway, I then added the 3 capfuls Stress Zyme + to the tank.
It is thought that the rapid growth of algae in the tank may have helped by excessive light, adivsed to only have the lights on for 3-4 hours per day.

Hopefully all that has been done today will help the tank reach perfect levels to enable me to add fish very soon.

Wednesday 8th July 2009

Blue fur all over the plant now, and spread to a second plant, maybe not quite as pretty as I first thought. After much research on the internet I have concluded that it is a sever type of algae that once it's caught a hold, very difficult to shift it. Oops. Have taken the 2 infected plants out of the tank and placed them in a large bucket whilst deciding what to do. Have a few options to consider, will just have to see.

Tuesday 7th July 2009


More of the blue fur on the plant, looks quite pretty.

Monday 6th July 2009


Turned the thermometer up to 30 degrees today to give it a bit of a 'roadtest'. Noticed some blue fur in 1 of the new plants.